10.7.08

Italy's opposition, a laughing stock for all

Foreign observers used to laugh at Italian politics because governments changed once a year. Now they make fun of us because of Berlusconi. But the behaviour of the current centre-left coalition deserves the same treatment.
While the government majority has basicly coalesced into two parties (Berlusconi's People of Freedom and the xenophobic and populist Northern League), the opposition is more divided than ever, even after being drubbed in last April's elections.
Following all the splits and name-changing facelifts is hard even by Italian standards. After splitting into three Communist parties, the far left united under one flag but got kicked out from the Parliament. The Democratic Party, the biggest movement in the coalition, was born from the merger between the secular Leftist Democrats and left-catholic The Daisy and was led by Walter Veltroni, a popular former mayor of Rome who took inspiration from Kennedy and Obama, but suffered a hard blow in April, despite the alliance with a small but fiery anti-corruption party led by former Tangentopoli prosecutor Antonio Di Pietro.
After the usual grand electoral promises, Berlusconi swiftly changed his priorities to what he does best: fixing the trials he's involved in with some self-tailored laws. In today's case, by passing a law that would temporarily freeze trials for the four highest political figures.
And how does the opposition reply? The radical left is busy trying to find a new identity, and is nowhere to be seen. Veltroni's Democrats, unconspicuous in their opposition but active with a "shadow government" so shadowy that few Italians realize it exists, apparently are convinced that the best way to tackle Berlusconi is by means of "dialogue for the reforms", a vague mantra that Italian politicians have kept repeating for the last ten years, to the point that nobody knows what these reforms would be anyway.
Di Pietro's Italy of Values, together with citizens who feel unrepresented by any parties but follow Beppe Grillo, a stand-up comedian-cum-firebrand, is the only one actively trying to denounce the prime minister's attempts to muzzle the judiciary.
This week, tens of thousands of people took to Rome's Piazza Navona to participate in a mass protest organized by Di Pietro. Anti-Berlusconi voters watched with a mix of hope and perplexity, but it was a stirring event anyway, when compared with Veltroni's smooth style.
And what happened today? The Democrats attacked Di Pietro, vehemently asking him to choose "between the streets and the Parliament". Another division in Italy's beleaguered opposition. On the other side, Berlusconi must be watching the show and have a laugh, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been living abroad for a few years now, and I am struggling to keep my interest (and my hopes) up. Whenever Italy is in the news it is always something not only bad - good news hardly makes the headlines in general, regardless of the country - but more than anything: ridiculous. I just cannot take it seriously. I read the news and it just all seems sooooo "small", if that makes any sense. So small, simple and SINKING deeper into the mud. I am loosing all interest in it.

When I try to read about it on Italian newspaper websites it makes it even worse. The articles don't really explain what is happening from the beginning, assuming that readers know the whole story already, and the depth (not!) of the analysis is just so ... inexistant. All I know is what this guy said, and what the other guy answered back. Like two chickens angry about that last piece of corn one of them stole off the other.

I feel so bad in saying all this. Do I not love my country enough? Maybe. And maybe it is also my fault if things are like this. I left, I have officially decided to wash my hands of any Italian bullshit. But no I don't think so, I do love it. And I do miss it. There is no one in the world who can make pizza as good as we can ... for that at least I will always love my country.

Desperate Italian said...

Good point anonymous...
and as a journalist, what you said on the non-existent analysis and the usual, pointless, "reactions by politicians" is all too depressing.

Emre Kızılkaya said...

Alessandro, my friend, I was thinking about you yesterday while re-organizing my phonebook.

I'm adding your blog to my list as well.

Ciao,

Anonymous said...

Carissimo,

I am attaching here the link to an article from the Ecomonist of the 12th June

http://www.economist.com/world/europe/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11541286

John and I are already big fans of your new adventure!